Friday, September 28, 2007

Info on Prayer Shawls


In response to the comments on my last post, here's a photo of a prayer shawl, taken from this page, which tells you all about them. This is where I ordered my supplies.

They provide a knitting pattern, but you can also crochet these. That's what my friend at church does. Since it's basically just a big rectangle, it looks pretty easy! I'm sure all of you can make them, too!

See also the Prayer Shawl Ministry website. If I enjoy this, I'll probably try to join or start a "prayer shawl circle," maybe at the hospital.

But that's way down the road. My first challenge is to see if I can cast on, knit, and purl!

Oh, and Lee: If I like knitting, I'll be doing it in addition to writing . . . hopefully not instead of writing!

4 comments:

  1. Well, the world can always use another knitter! When you're ready to do stuffed animals, email me -- I know of a ton of online free patterns.
    Yay for knitters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I hope you get really good at this Susan. I always wanted a prayer shawl for more than just prayer. They really are good looking.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny what language does you say "prayer shawl" and I think tallitot. It's funny, going to shul for the Jewish High Holidays made me think again about how much I want to weave my own tallit (silk of course). Maybe as a present to self after finishing the dissertation.

    I do like the idea of combining textiles with prayer, it can be such a wonderful meditation, and as I've made ritual objects for people, thinking about their use while weaving has been a wonderful thing.

    As for the shawls themselves, there are those who completely cover themselves with their tallit when saying the amidah, or central prayer. Some say it is to separate oneself from the world and distractions and to come closer and more intimate with G-d. Personally, when I wrap myself in my tallit my favorite image is of being sheltered in the wings of the Shekinah, the feminine aspect of G-d...which relates so well to the idea of wrapping your recipients in the prayers of the creator.

    Sorry for the ramble, but I was just struck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eaquaelegit8:35 PM

    I made that exact shawl last year for the person I was sponsoring for conversion. He wore it at the Easter Vigil and wears it for prayer and to mass still. Far from feeling like one who blesses, I feel very blessed by the project.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.