Friday, September 07, 2007

Happy Birthday to Moi!


I'm forty-seven today, and as happens almost every year, my birthday coincides with the Great Reno Balloon Race. I can see dozens of hot-air balloons out my study window right now, although none of them are close enough for me to make out patterns and colors. Yesterday the prevailing winds blew them right over the house; Gary told me that we had a visitation from an extremely large frog, and that the cats were fascinated. I missed this, unfortunately, because I was at the gym.

Gary got me most excellent birthday gifts: Joan Osborne's new album, an album by the Celtic group Grada, a charming consolation lion from the NYPL, new computer speakers for my office at work, and -- the piece de resistance -- a stethoscope.

See, he's always maintained that the medical school should provide me with a stethoscope, but since they haven't, he decided to get me one himself.

The irony is that it doesn't seem to work. (Who knew they were that complicated?) At first, neither of us heard anything; Gary did some twisting and turning of the mechanism, and now he can hear his heartbeat through it, but I can't hear a thing. He read online that you need the right size of eartips for your stethoscope, so we think maybe these are too big for my teensy ears.

It's still a very funny gift, though.

Tonight we're having friends over to watch a movie. In the meantime, I have three (count 'em, three) English Department meetings today. However, the colleague chairing one of the meetings has promised to bring chocolate, which is exceptionally thoughtful of him. And he doesn't even know it's my birthday!

4 comments:

  1. A very happy birthday, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hippo Birdy Two Ewes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, happy, Beloved.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.