Saturday, September 22, 2007

Happy Birthday, Guys!


Today is Bilbo and Frodo's birthday. You all knew that, right?

It's also the anniversary of Frodo's setting out from Bag End on the quest that eventually led to the destruction of the One Ring. Beware of tall, dark, hollow strangers on black horses!

Tolkien purists will of course excoriate me for posting a photo from Jackson's film, but hey, I liked the first movie. The second and third were increasingly better as films in their own right, but worse as Tolkien adaptations; I never recovered from what Jackson did to Faramir in the second film.

Okay, so here's something from the book I've never completely understood: Tolkien says that Frodo always experiences wanderlust in the autumn, wanting to set off on adventures. Does anyone else respond that way to autumn? Summer makes me feel that way, but fall makes me want to curl up indoors with a good book, a sweater, a cat, and a pot of tea. The idea of adventuring as the days are getting shorter makes me all chilly.

7 comments:

  1. While I don't vacation often in the fall, I have traveled to NC to see the leaves change. The cooler weather is nice for walking. Maybe Frodo wants to see the world when the harvest is in, the world is celebrating, and all is in a state of change. And perhaps, like me, he finds the cooler nights refreshing after the heat of summer.

    Peace! Hope! & Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn in Portland is often windy and stormy, an unsettled time between the monotonous sunny, warm days of summer and the monotonous cold, wet days of winter. It's a time of change. It makes me restless.

    What lingers now is not
    summer, but summer’s ghost,
    pale and cool instead of hot.
    Fog rises on the coast,
    but no frost has fallen
    and the skies are clear, if pale
    and drifted with pollen.
    No sign of autumn gales
    yet—the season resists
    its inevitable turning
    toward rain and chilly mist
    and smell of wood burning
    in stoves. We’re suspended
    between seasons unbegun and ended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get horrible wanderlust in the fall. I don't know why, but I think it's the crispness in the air and the "changingness" of things. I have an incredible urge to wander through the hills, look at the trees, and end up somewhere new in front of a fire with a bowl of soup and a book. Perhaps it's because autumn always feels sort of magical to me - the smell of falling leaves, the whiff of snow just around the corner, the feeling that Things are Happening just beyond the edges of my vision. I find it much harder to concentrate in the fall than any other time of the year. I read about Frodo and said "yes, yes, exactly."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I've been outvoted!

    And Tiel, that's a lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall and spring are the seasons of motion, change, and a degree of instability. I think some people absorb this while others have the urge to nest during the tumult. Personally, I feel set into motion intellectually and physically during these seasons. These are the times when my best writing happens. I find myself dreaming of the future and reminiscing longingly about parts of the past. I have always fallen head-over-heels in love in the fall or spring. These were always my favorite times to go visit my ex-girlfriend and take spontaneous roadtrips. I love walking about in the briskness of fall; I especially always loved doing this up on the old campus by Frandsen and the quad. Fall has this quality of making life seem more vivid; it can help us notice something beautiful in the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Danielle! I still owe you e-mail! (I owe lots of other people e-mail too, so please don't take it personally!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. No worries, Susan ;-) I just happened upon your blog and thought I'd pop in and say hi.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.