Monday, September 24, 2007

The Best Sound in the World

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning: slept far too late after staying up too late to grade, which meant that I didn't have time to get to the gym. Instead, I'm still in my jammies, drinking coffee, about to dash into the shower to start getting ready for work.

I'm bummed about the gym, but an extra rest day probably won't kill me.

But while I was sitting at my desk, Figaro curled up in a pool of sunshine there. I put my arms around him and rested my head on his side while he kneaded my shoulder and purred for all he was worth.

Listening to a purring cat is one of the best medicines I know. If I'm ever really sick or in a coma, I want somebody to tape the sound of a cat purring and play it for me over headphones. It's the sound of contentment, "all's right with the world" made audible, without words.

Although I love all animals, this is one reason I prefer cats to dogs. Purring is so much more pleasant than barking! And Bali even loves to fetch, although he rarely wags his tail.


  1. Yes, cat purrs are the best sound in the world. by far.

  2. What a sweet kitty! I've always thought that cat's purr should be one of the sounds on the Sound Soother. Seaside, city, jungle, and kitty. Right?

  3. Absolutely, cat purrs are warm, affectionate and soothing. They are very reassuring when you've had a hard day or are feeling down. Hyram's nickname is RumTum because of his huge rumbling purr.


  4. Cat purrs are indeed one of my favorite sounds. Close behind are the little grunts and snorts Oreo made as she would push against my side with her feet. It was always amusing to feel, and watch, as she simultaneously reached out to touch me while taking up more room on the bed.

    Jody and I miss her very much.


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.